The general objective of this webinar was to contribute to the improvement of food systems in the face of the COVID pandemic and to address the emerging issues of food insecurity in Africa.
Specifically, the webinar:
- Discussed the medium and long term impact of COVID-19 on food poverty; nutrition and food systems in Africa and to deliberate on the key contributing factors
- Assessed the challenges faced by the emergency response on food systems;
- Discussed opportunities for transforming the food systems and improve nutrition during the current and future pandemics.
- Discussed measures put in place for social protection and COVID-19 response in Africa, especially in rural areas, and shared experience of integrated best practices, and approaches.
- Discussed research opportunities related to nutrition and COVID-19 and how they can be adapted to address the impact of COVID-19 in Africa.
- Paul Amuna: The immediate, medium-term, and longterm impact of COVID-19 on food poverty, and nutrition outcomes
- Linley Chiwona Kharltun: COVID19 Research Opportunities “same-same but different”
- Boitshepo Bibi Giyose: AUDA-NEPAD COVID19 Response: Nutrition and Food Systems
- Mpumuzi Sukati: COVID-19 and Nutrition Nexus
Join the conversation on social media
Share quotes from the speakers, reflections, screenshots and more on social media. Use these hashtags and handles on Twitter:
- ANH Academy - @anh_academy
- African Nutrition Society - @anmatters
- Amos Laar - @alaar
- Mphumuzi Sukati - @MphumuziSukati
- Modou Cheyassin Phal - @ModouPhall
- Hashtags: #ANHCOVID19
- Dr. Amos Laar (Ghana), President of the African Nutrition Society
- Mr. Mphumuzi Sukati, FAO RAF Senior Nutrition and Food Systems Officer
- Prof. Paul Amuna
- Ms. Isatou Jallow
- Prof. Linley Chiwona Kharltun
- Prof. Alan Jackson
- Dr. Habiba Hassan-Wassef
- Dr. Victor Owino
- Mrs. Julia Tagwireyi
- Mr. Modou Cheyassin Phall
- Prof. Francis Zotor