Webinar: Social and Behaviour Change Essentials
Thursday, July 16, 2020 - 14:00 to 15:30
Virtual - time indicated in London time
Webinar #1 in the Webinar Series on Social and Behaviour Change (SBC) for Improved Agriculture and Nutrition
Speaker: Danielle Chekaraou
Moderator: Cecilia Gonzalez
Date: Thursday 16 July 2020
Time: 09:00 New York / 13:00 Accra / 14:00 London / 15:00 Rome / 16:00 Addis / 18:30 Delhi / 20:00 Jakarta / 21:00 Beijing
The first out of five webinars is designed to help practitioners gain an essential understanding of social and behaviour change, especially:
- What SBC is (not) about
- Why some people do not practice the promoted behaviours
- Where people’s knowledge fits into the process of change
- What the main misconceptions about changing people’s behaviours are and why they are wrong
- What small doable actions you can take to integrate SBC into your projects effectively
You can look forward to plenty of practical examples, useful tips and resources that will enable you to apply what you learnt in your work. A substantial portion of the webinar’s time will be allocated to participants’ questions. The key speaker, Danielle Chekaraou, has twenty years of experience in international development, specializing in supporting the effective implementation of behaviour change strategies. She has worked for various Ministries of Health, UN Agencies, Save the Children, World Vision, Oxfam, Action Against Hunger, and other organizations.
The webinar is part of a webinar series, which will be running through the second half of 2020. It aims to help people integrate SBC effectively into each stage of their interventions, especially in the context of agricultural, food security and nutrition projects in low-income countries. Throughout the entire series, experienced SBC practitioners and researchers will share useful guidance and inspiration on a range of topics, including:
- identification of the key barriers and motivators to change
- design of SBC strategies
- development of effective SBC messages and materials
- effective monitoring and evaluation of SBC interventions
All webinars will be in English; however, recordings with French subtitles will be available shortly after each webinar.
The webinars are an excellent opportunity for people to gain comprehensive knowledge, skills and inspiration for facilitating behaviour change in an effective way. Therefore, we encourage you to share this invitation extensively with your colleagues and partner organizations, especially those in countries affected by high levels of food and nutrition insecurity.
Join the conversation on social media
Share quotes from the speakers, reflections, screenshots and more on social media. Use these hashtags and handles on Twitter:
- GIZ: @GIZ_gmbh
- Cecilia Gonzalez: @Cecilia_AgNut
- ANH Academy: @IMMANA_res (ANH Academy is run through the IMMANA programme)
The webinar will last 90 minutes, including a presentation and discussion session.
Social and Behaviour Change: Insights and Practice; Practitioner’s Guide: https://mia.giz.de/qlink/ID=245883000
Changement social et comportemental: Perspectives et pratiques; Guide du praticien https://mia.giz.de/qlink/ID=246755000
- PIN (2017) Behaviour Change Toolkit - ENGLISH version and FRENCH version
- Kittle, B. (2017) A Practical Guide to Conducting a Barrier Analysis - ENGLISH version, FRENCH version, ARABIC version and SPANISH version
- More audience questions answered by Danielle Chekaraou after the webinar
- Danielle Chekaraou's PPT Slide
Cecilia Gonzalez is a multilingual international development professional with 10 years of experience in program management and technical aspects of food and agriculture. Since 2015, she has helped coordinate the Agriculture-Community of Practice (Ag2Nut), an online global community of roughly 7,500 members from 129 countries.