Webinar: How to Understand the Barriers and Motivators to Behaviour Change
Tuesday, August 11, 2020 - 14:00 to 15:30
Virtual - time indicated in London time
Webinar #2 in the Webinar Series on Social and Behaviour Change (SBC) for Improved Agriculture and Nutrition
Speakers: Petr Schmied, Archana Sarkar and Ann Jimerson
Moderator: Cecilia Gonzalez
Date: Tuesday 11 August 2020
Time: 09:00 New York / 13:00 Accra / 14:00 London / 15:00 Rome / 16:00 Addis / 18:30 Delhi / 20:00 Jakarta / 21:00 Beijing
The second out of five webinars is designed to help practitioners understand why some people do not practice the promoted behaviours (the ‘barriers’) and what could motivate them to do so (the ‘motivators’). In the course of the webinar you will be able to learn:
- how to decide which behaviours should we promote
- how to research the key barriers and motivators to change
- which existing resources can make your research easier
You can look forward to plenty of practical examples, useful tips and resources that will enable you to apply what you learnt in your work. A substantial portion of the webinar’s time will be allocated to participants’ questions. The speakers include Petr Schmied, Archana Sarkar and Ann Jimerson (see their short bios below).
The webinar is part of a webinar series running through the second half of 2020. It aims to help people integrate SBC effectively into each stage of their interventions, especially in the context of agricultural, food security and nutrition projects in low-income countries. Throughout the entire series, experienced SBC practitioners and researchers share useful guidance and inspiration on a range of topics, including:
- SBC essentials (will be soon available here 1st webinar)
- identification of the key barriers and motivators to change (2nd webinar)
- design of SBC strategies (3rd webinar)
- development of effective SBC messages and materials (4th webinar)
- effective monitoring and evaluation of SBC interventions (5th webinar)
All webinars are in English; however, recordings with French subtitles will be available shortly after each webinar.
The webinars are an excellent opportunity for people to gain comprehensive knowledge, skills and inspiration for facilitating behaviour change in an effective way. Therefore, we encourage you to share this invitation extensively with your colleagues and partner organizations, especially those in countries affected by higher levels of food and nutrition insecurity.
Join the conversation on social media
Share quotes from the speakers, reflections, screenshots and more on social media. Use these hashtags and handles on Twitter:
- Ann Jimerson: @annjimerson
- GIZ: @GIZ_gmbh
- Cecilia Gonzalez: @Cecilia_AgNut
- ANH Academy: @IMMANA_res (ANH Academy is run through the IMMANA programme)
The webinar will last 90 minutes, including a presentation and discussion session.
- Social and Behaviour Change Insights and Practice
- Kittle, B. (2017) A Practical Guide to Conducting a Barrier Analysis - ENGLISH version, FRENCH version, ARABIC version and SPANISH version
- Presentation slides by Petr Schmied
- Presentation slides by Ann Jimerson
- Presentation slides by Archana Sarkar
- Choosing the small doable action: Data for high impact and feasibility - Full Version
- Choosing the Small Doable Action: Summary
- Behaviour Change
Ann Jimerson is a senior SBC specialist who worked for more than 20 years with a large nonprofit organization, most recently as Behavior Change Specialist with Alive & Thrive. Now as an independent consultant, she conducts focus group research and coaches teams in designing SBC strategies, often using the "how to" videos and blog entries she has created to convey behavior change methods and principles.
Cecilia Gonzalez is a multilingual international development professional with 10 years of experience in program management and technical aspects of food and agriculture. Since 2015, she has helped coordinate the Agriculture-Community of Practice (Ag2Nut), an online global community of roughly 7,500 members from 129 countries.