Data visualization is widely used to communicate agriculture, nutrition, and health data. However, a graph or dashboard do not necessarily inspire action. Choosing effective, accurate, and compelling ways to visualize data based on key messages and target audience is a vital skill for anyone who wants to use data visualization to influence action. The session will share concrete skills on how to visualize data based on communication goals and existing data visualization and human cognition research. The training complements existing DataDENT Tableau Public tutorials that participants can freely explore following the session.
- Data visualization decision tree (English, French, Portuguese)
- Data visualization exercises - please download this document before the session!
- Aung T, Niyeha D, Shagihilu S, Mpembeni R, Kaganda J, Sheffel A, Heidkamp R. Optimizing data visualization for reproductive, maternal, newborn, child health, and nutrition (RMNCH&N) policymaking: data visualization preferences and interpretation capacity among decision-makers in Tanzania. Global health research and policy. 2019 Dec 1;4(1):4. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s41256-019-0095-1
- Aung T, Niyeha D, Heidkamp R. Leveraging data visualization to improve the use of data for global health decision-making. Journal of Global Health. 2019 Dec;9(2). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6925961/
- Aung, T. Data Visualization for Audiences in Low & Middle-Income Countries. Data Visualization Society Nightingale. 2019. https://medium.com/nightingale/data-visualization-for-audiences-in-low-middle-income-countries-ed722d161313
- Aung, T. The Global Health Dashboard Epidemic. Data Visualization Society Nightingale. 2019. https://medium.com/nightingale/the-global-health-dashboard-epidemic-e087d971e41d
- Amundsen, Joakim. Dashboards and information overload: Challenges and design guidelines for Health Information Management Systems in developing countries. 2019. https://www.duo.uio.no/handle/10852/69974
- Chrysantina A, Sæbø JI. Assessing User-Designed Dashboards: A Case for Developing Data Visualization Competency. InInternational Conference on Social Implications of Computers in Developing Countries 2019 May 1 (pp. 448-459). Springer, Cham. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-030-18400-1_37
- DataDENT Data Visualization Tools for Nutrition: https://datadent.org/data-visualization-tools-for-nutrition/
- Data for Nutrition “Visualizing Nutrition Data for Decision Making” webinar series: https://datafornutrition.org/visualizing-nutrition-data-for-decision-making-series/
Check out our ANH2021 social media toolkit for each Learning Lab lead's Twitter handles (go to the "Social Media Toolkit" tab).